- Preheat slow cooker.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on high heat. Season lamb shanks with salt and pepper. Sear lamb on all sides until brown crust develops. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add an additional tablespoon of oil if needed. Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, and ground spices. Sauté for 1 minute more.
- Spoon the onion mixture into the slow cooker. To this, add the pasta sauce, chickpeas, and apricots.
- Arrange the lamb shanks on top of this mixture and then pour in the 2 cups of water (you may need a little more or less depending on the size of yourlamb).
- Lightly stir the sauce mixture underneath the lamb to combine the flavours a bit, and spoon some of the mixture over the top of the lamb.
- Place slow cooker lid on and cook for 3 to 3.5 hours, or until lamb is fork-tender.
- Taste sauce (carefully) and season with additional salt to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro if desired.
- Serve with couscous, Pangkarra pasta or Willunga GF pasta.